Translate

Click here to SHOP!

Friday, March 2, 2012

Chicken and Cornmeal Dumplings


I love it when I make a recipe and instead of whining and complaining... I get moans of pleasure.  YES moans of oooh this is good.  When my folks were here I made this recipe.  So easy.  Just right out of my handy dandy crock pot, but moan worthy;)


Again this recipe came out of the Diabetic Slow Cooker 2012 magazine.  It's called the Chicken and Cornmeal Dumpling and here's what you need.  This is the original recipe.  I usually double it.


2 carrots, sliced...about a cup
1 celery stalk, sliced about 1/2 cup
1/3 cup fresh or frozen corn.  I only had canned, it worked great.
1/2 of a medium onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic...i used minced garlic from a jar...maybe a teaspoon or so.
1/2 tsp of dried rosemary or 1 tsp fresh, crushed
1/4 tsp pepper
2 chicken thighs, skinned. 
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon flour
1 recipe cornmeal dumplings (I DOUBLED):  Mix 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup cornmeal, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and a dash of salt.  In another bowl combine 1 egg white, 1 tbs skim milk and 1 tbs canola oil.  Add egg mixture to the flour mixture.  Stir until just moistened.



1.  Combine carrots, celery, corn, onion, garlic, rosemary and pepper in crockpot and top with chicken.  Pour broth over all in cooker.

2. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 31/2-4 hours.

3.  If using low heat turn to high heat and remove chicken to cutting board.  Cool slightly then shred.  Transfer back to crockpot.  In a small bowl mix milk and flour until smooth add to cooker.

4.  Drop cornmeal dough in spoonfuls onto chicken mixture.  Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or more until toothpick comes out clean.


SO good and extremely healthy.  I've found that all the recipes out of this cook book are a little bland, so season according to your own preferences:)







Link up my friends.  Let's share and FEED OUR FAMILIES!!!





Have a blessed weekend.





463.  a weekend with friends
464.  spring weather
465.  birds chirping
466.  a good sweat
467.  hair love

Pin It!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails