Friday, February 24, 2012

Curry and Ginger Butternut Squash Soup



Good morning girlies.  I miss you.  Mom and Dad are still here.  We've been busy with fun projects and running here and there.  It's been a good week.  I wanted to take a minute and share a recipe with you that I found in my April Issue of Oxygen.  It's Curry and Ginger Butternut Squash Soup.



I have to tell you that I'm a huge soup fan.  Love all kinds...especially anything creamy.  Despite it's texture this recipe is super healthy and perfect for a chilly winter day.  If you love a little spice, this one's for you.


Ingredients:
1 butternut squash
4 cups water
2 tbsp canola oil or to lighten the recipe just use 2 tsp
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp curry powder
1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.  Place face down in a baking pan with water.  Bake for 45 minutes or until soft.  Let cool....save water it was cooked in.

2.  Heat oil in pan in large skillet or soup pot...add onion and garlic and saute until golden.  Stir in curry powder, ginger and salt and pepper.  Simmer on low for a few minutes.

3.  Pour the squash water into the skillet and heat.  Scoop out cooled squash flesh and add to the skillet.  Remove from heat and let cool.  When it's room temperature puree all of it in a blender or food processor with the broth.  Serve.





So to join in the linky party.  Just grab my button, link to a recipe post and let's Feed Our Families:)






Photobucket


I'm posting at Beautifully Rooted today.  I hope you come over and read my post called "Are you a visionary??";)




Have a blessed day.







439.  projects getting done
440.  time with mom and dad
441.  flipflops in february
442.  meeting my new neighbor..miss jane
443.  finding an awesome antique mall;)



Pin It!

26 comments:

  1. happy beautifully rooted day!!! : ) can't wait to read your words!

    oh my gracious. THANK YOU. i can eat this soup. and right now (for the next month) when i have to avoid dairy and wheat and seemingly everything else (dr's orders) i am hungry and lacking in recipes! but now i have at least this! mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so fancy!!!!!!!!

    I'd love to eat some soup with you. Or some Mazatlan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you've had this great weather to share with your parents! I just bought a butternut so will make it this weekend! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic! Oh and I totally LOVE the snowman mug full of soup!!!!! :D Perfect timing too, I was just going to pick up some more curry on my next trip to the grocery store to make soup and now I know what soup to make! Plus, soup is my step mom's comfort food and we know she needs some serious comfort food right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beck...I'm also a huge soup fan.
    This one sounds and looks so delicious.
    I will get the ingredients today and try it out!
    Thanks for the recipe too!
    So happy to hear you are having such fun with your Mom & Dad!
    Happy weekend hun!

    Deborah xoxoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds scrumptious : ) I am glad your mom and dad are still there. I love when they come : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Butternut squash soup is my favorite soup. I think you really nailed the image of the squash. It's seductive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm...i love soup. although, i'm not a big curry fan i do LOVE squash...which is weird because i hated it till i was pregnant with noah. weird what pregancy will do to you!

    will talk to you soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love soup too! I was just looking on Crockin' Girls yesterday to find crock pot soup recipes. There's some good ones on there! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Three of my favorite flavors ... yum.

    So happy for you to have your family visiting.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my favorite soups! So glad you have this time with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the butternut squash, this looks so good. I love Indian Food we live in a very diverse community and have a few great Indian eats around.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. as a Fellow Lover of Soup: bless you. i must find me some squash, and pronto.

    ps enjoy the rest of your time with mom and dad! how precious these days are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmmmmmm. I miss you. But I love that you are spending time with your parents. You guys have FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  15. your soup looks perfect for a blustery day like we're having up north today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy! Looks and sounds delish! Gonna add it to my menu for next week, thanks girlie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love curry, and my husband loves squash, so this could be a hit at our house!! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a wonderful time with your parents, Becky...that time is so precious! I'm a big fan of soup, too! Your recipe sounds so GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This soup looks like something I would love and you can't beat a great new antique mall ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. mmmmmmm!!! looks SO good!!! butternut squash is my favorite. soup is my favorite. YOU are my favorite! :) TGIF friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. yummy! i'll link to an older recipe today since i haven't been on the ball enough to get a recipe up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ooo! I just discovered a butternut squash soup recipe that I love, too - it has coconut milk in it to make it "creamy"... add a bit (1 cup, maybe?) and see what you think. I also love some sausage in mine, too. mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've had soups all my life, all kinds, but never butternut squash. I wonder why. This looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Please excuse that I didn't join in this week, we're away for the weekend. This looks yummy- would it make much difference if I missed the oil out? Rx

    http://sandersonsmithstory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rachael...just tweak it however you want. I don't think it would matter at all leaving the oil out.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hope you are
    still enjoying
    your folks, to
    the last drop : )
    I've been in a
    soup-making
    mood lately, too.
    This looks yummy!
    Sweet pic of the
    snowman mug!

    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts. I love hearing what YOU have to say:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails