Translate

Click here to SHOP!

Sunday, October 16, 2011

legacy


My folks are here.  They got to Virginia really late on Thursday night...after like 17 hours of drive time.  It took them a LOT longer than we thought it would.  I was more or less a nervous wreck all day.  When I'm expecting company I get nothing done.  I have so much excitement building in me, it leaves me worthless.  I just can't wait to get my hands on them. 



My list of  must do's is pretty long.  Everyone I meet gives me a "you must do this...you must do that" list.  I knew the apple orchards in Charlottsville was one of those must do's.  The problem is I knew that if that many people were telling me to go that everyone else would think it was a great idea too.



The line for food.



It was worth every second we waited in line.  Apple cider donuts...a little bit of heaven right here on earth.  They were pipping hot right out of the fryer.  So good!!!  If I close my eyes and concentrate I can still taste it's gooey doughy goodness.  Ahhhh.

This is completely off the topic, but speaking of donuts do remember that Dunkin' Donuts commercial, the one with the guy walking in a trance muttering to himself, its time to make the donuts??  Well Honey says that ALOT!  The message in church was related to that.  It was about pursuing dreams and living with passion.  Not like the donut man just going through the motions day after day.  The pastor said to figure out what you are passionate about you should ask yourself two questions.  What do you LOVE?  What do you HATE?  Figure that out.  Where there is no vision the people perish.  We need dreams and visions.  We need purpose! 







After searching high and low we finally found some apples.  They were pretty picked over.  Most of the apples were way at the top...out of reach.  Signs told us to go deep.  I thought that was cool.  So we went deep and finally found some good ones.  It was kind of sad to see all the rotten ones wasted laying on the ground.  I guess they fell off when people were picking them.   




We've got fruit coming out our ears now.  If you have some apple recipes to share I'd love that.  I have a few tricks up my sleeve.  One of my favorite desserts is strawberry shortcake.  I'm thinking apples would work pretty good in that too.





Right by the orchards is an old restaurant called Mitchie Tavern.  Apparently it's about 200 years old.  WOWZA!  We waited in line there too.  Or I should say dad and honey waited in line.

 

The girls all went shopping.  They have three really cute log cabin type buildings on the grounds where we goofed off for an hour or so.

 



We went to Thomas Jefferson's Monticello home also.  Well we were really close to his home.  We got as far as the visitor's center.  Tickets to tour the house were $37 a piece and we just didn't feel like spending the money.  We'll go back another time.  We did watch a movie about his life, and I left feeling so inspired.


It amazes me how one person can change a country, a nation...impact the world forever.  It completely tied into the message at church about dreams and pursuing your passion.  If you were to die today what legacy would you leave?  What work, passions, contribution would your life make?
 




I was sitting there trying to figure out what I LOVED and what I HATED.  I know that I love my family, my creative outlets of blogging and art...the Lord of course.  Are these life changers?  Will these things be my legacy??  Will they carry on and make a difference after my time here is gone??  I certainly hope so.  I'll never be a Thomas Jefferson, but my legacy...my circle of influence can be just as important.  How about yours??



Have a blessed day.



168.  vista views
169.  the smell of my dad's cologne
170.  the sweetness of my mom's brown eyes
171.  mashed potatoes and gravy
172.  God's masterpiece in the changing of the leaves
173.  a spare bedroom...vacant no more
174.  someone to show the house off to
175.  coffee with my folks in the morning

Pin It!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails