Translate

Click here to SHOP!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

great and small


I've never really been drawn to mushrooms before, but this year my eye finds them.  It seeks them out...hidden in the woods, along my walking trail, tucked under a branch.  I've been trying to figure out why they mean something to me...what God may be wanting to teach me.  Am I a fungus...growing in a warm damp environment?  Am I hidden...ugly but strangely beautiful??  HA!  Now I'm just stretching, but seriously there is a lesson there.  Just don't know what in the world it is yet.



Speaking of lessons.  See that prickly porcupine?  Well that's been me over the last few weeks.  Looking back I can see that I had my defenses up.  I was a mess.  Crying at the drop of a hat. Worried about things out of my control.  A complete disaster.  Thank God I'm over it.  Thank God that it only lasted for a little while.  I feel my prickly quills dropping off one by one and I'm feeling all soft and furry again.  Yay!



The chicks and I had the opportunity to visit the Richmond Zoo with a friend this week.  I went to the zoo thinking that most likely it would be lame.  There is no way it could possibly be as good as our Minnesota Zoo.  I know, shame on me.  But that's been my thinking.  I told you compare, compare...compare!  UGH!  Anyway I was SO wrong. 


It was intimate and cozy.  Small yes, but in a good way.  I practically parked in the front row of the parking lot.  No mile hike there.  No line to wait in.  My feet weren't aching by the end.  The animals were up close and personal because it wasn't so enormous.



I felt like I was one with nature...and you know I love me some nature;)




Little chick not so much...ha!  Have to admit that is a weird feeling, having their sharp little feet pressed into your skin.  The first impulse is to swat them away.  But they were so sweet.  We stayed in that bird aviary for a long time.




These are God's creatures...great and small.  He created every single one.  It humbles me to think of that.  To really think of that.  How creative and inventive He is.  How unique all of us are. 



This sweet thing actually sang for us.  Brandee was just telling me that it's kind of rare and that it's a gift if you get to hear it and then low and behold.  He just up and let out the most beautiful wail.  I don't really know how to describe it, but I feel honored to have witnessed it.



Can't get much more up close and personal.





So it was good.  The zoo gets a check in that imaginary list I've got going on.  But the best part and I can honestly say this...the list is starting to fade from my mind.  I can feel a little flutter of hope and happiness here.  I've climbed out of the pit and hopefully I'll stay out.



Remember this praise song??  "As the deer panteth for the water so my soul longeth after Thee.  You alone are my heart's desire and I long to worship Thee.  You alone are my strength, my shield.  To You alone may my spirit yield.   You alone are my heart's desire and I long to worship Thee."  That's all I could think to myself as I saw this picture.  Such a sweet song to have in your heart.



Have a blessed day.







141.  i can finally breathe
142.  meeting with a personal trainer
143.  renewed goals and purpose
144.  art orders trickling in
145.  friendly people 
146.  letters from strangers that bless my heart


Pin It!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails