Translate

Click here to SHOP!

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Art from the heart



See
the gorgeous girl in the black head band?? That is Melody Ross. She and her sister Kathy were the master minds behind Brave Girl Camp. I can honestly say I have never met a more creative person in my life. It just oozes from her.




Melody
had projects for us to work on every day. This compilation of wood, sticks, cardboard and foam became this...





I
love that I can change what the bird says to suit my mood and what I need to focus on. Everyone's bird was unique. What a fun, messy... cool project to do. I love my bird:) It reminds me to spread my wings and soar!!



Here we are in the middle of our soul searching...beautiful music was playing, laughter echoed in the tent, paper scraps and Modge Podge glue fumes filled the air. It was magical! We were given several different projects and it all related to positive self talk. For instance we made a scrapbook with word promises to ourselves.




Here's
a collage of mine. You can't read the words, but they are all promises to myself. For instance... "I promise to surround myself with people who love me unconditionally. I promise to be led by peace."




Then
we made a tin filled with cards that were words that someone very special might say over us.





This
one is blurry, but it says "Dear Becky...You are becoming who you were always meant to become dear girl."




This
card says "Dear Becky...In all the world, there is not a girl who is exactly like you - there never has been, there never will be." What wonderful words to hear over your life. It was beautiful. When I first got the page of quotes my heart could hardly stand it. I sat there crying and couldn't stop even though I wanted to. It was just such an awesome exercise...to read words that God or your mom or husband might whisper over you. Words that are easier to believe when it's someone else saying them.




This is Melody's art. I really wanted to show it to you because it's simply beautiful and meaningful and it's just ME to a tee. Her art didn't just speak to me...it SCREAMED my name. Every piece she makes has a story behind it. Don't ya just love it??





The second we first entered the cabin this house collage spoke to me from across the room. I loved everything about it. She made this house as a reminder to herself. For a while she went through some very hard struggles and had some people in her "house" that were unhealthy, destructive, selfish etc...



When you meet her you can tell she loves everyone. She wasn't very good at setting limitations. She referred to that old house as a crack house. This new house has boundaries. The outer yard, inner yard, porch and finally the inside. If you look close you can see her inner yard says "stay, honor, fiercely protect". She keeps certain people far away from her house...I think she said Starbucks. Then others she lets into the outer yard and then only extremely special people are allowed on the front porch steps.


Life is demanding. We are pulled in a million different directions daily. I know I struggle with trying to make everyone happy and in the process I lose myself. I lose my focus and I'm just spread too thin. Nothing gets done and I feel like a failure. So I am going to accept this challenge and make a house, set some new rules, and hopeful gain some balance in the process.




My
final thoughts about Brave Girl Camp could be summed up by this picture. It's all good. Every woman I met, morsel of food I ate, triumphant story I heard, song I listened to, every minute laughing and crying... it was just good. Thank you Melody, Kathy and all of your wonderful helpers for making last week so special!






Have a blessed day.


Pin It!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails