Friday, January 27, 2012

Feed my family...Friday


It's time for another Feed My Family Friday...who's with me;)?? 


The recipe this week is for Beef polenta ragout.  I went out of my box a little more and tried polenta for the first time.  Have you ever had it?  It looks really scrumptious, like it's going to be really really good.  But it honestly doesn't have that much flavor.  We even ended up getting the green chile and cilantro flavor by accident and it still didn't have much punch to it.








Okay so this is polenta.  I didn't make any homemade.  Didn't feel the need to go to that much trouble especially since I'd never tried it before.  We found it in the organic section of the refrigerator aisle.  It comes in a tube and you slice it.  It's basically just cornmeal patties. 

I sliced up the tube, put a little olive oil in a skillet and cooked it for a couple of minutes on each side.  I salted it a little too.  It's actually pretty good, and a wonderful substitute for pasta. 

(this looks less than appetizing...but it really was tasty)

 
Meanwhile in a skillet I browned really lean hamburger and then added it to a slow cooker to simmer (on high for 3 1/2 - 5 1/2 hours) with a 14 ounce can of stewed tomatoes, diced carrots, diced onions, 1/4 tsp. black pepper and 1/2 tsp garlic powder.  The last 30 minutes I threw in some sweet peppers and sliced zucchini.  You pour the beef mixture over the polenta and serve.  Very healthy...colorful and hearty.  I would recommend using lots of your favorite spices to give it a punch of flavor. 




feed my family friday

 
 
Okay it's your turn. Grab my button,
link up a healthy recipe, and let's FEED OUR FAMILIES:)
 
 





 
 

Have a blessed day.


 

398.  book club with my new peeps
399.  lunch in a tea room with sweet grannies
400.  Noodles med. salad with marinated steak...yum!
401.  being invited to a super bowl party
402.  sweet comments about my house that made my head about pop off;)

Pin It!

21 comments:

  1. Becky,
    I want to thank you for doing this! I do enjoy it and it really is a very important topic, especially for those of us who do not like to cook or do not have the time. I promise to link up and share a healthy meal!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks yummy! : ) I am going to make something nice for Jaish this weekend. I am excited! He is not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wondering about polenta for a while now, and all of a sudden it's popping up everywhere around me - I guess that just means I'll have to go and try it! So thank you for the recipe and advice!

    Hhaha...your caption on your photo is right, sorry to say, your dish dosen't look that appetizing...keep at it though, food photography is tough - and like you said before, when the dish is ready, who wants to take time to photograph it! ;) lol!

    I like this feed your family thing - lots of fun, looking forward to more and more of it! I linked up...hope it works! I seem to have trouble with this kind of thing - yeah, I can build myself a website but can't link a post?!?! sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun. I linked up - not sure I did it right but I posted a yummy dish - I hope you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like polenta, it kind of reminds me of grits, but WAY better. I've got to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummm! What a good feeling you must get feeding your family such healthy and delicious meals. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks delish!
    i ALMOST bought polenta from the market the other day but i didn't know what i would do with it.
    i really like the feed my family challenge! great idea.
    it's friday!!!!! yay!
    happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've never had polenta. i better change that. maybe trader joe's has it? that's where i'm headed. i think my hubby would be all over the heartiness in this meal. thanks, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure sounds good to me! You can't go wrong with anything that has veggies in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm. I can never decide if I like polenta or not, but this may give me incentive to try again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like polenta! Being Southern, though, I like the more traditional cornmeal recipes just a bit better. Glad you're cooking for your family. I've been cooking regular suppers for my family for almost 44 years, and 37 of them were when I was teaching school. Now that I am retired, I am still cooking. We go out on Fridays and most Sundays. Dinner with the family is one of those things that I have always taken for granted, but I assure you that your girls will treasure it. Real family time. There is no substitute. Y'all have a blessed day --- and happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This linky-party is really helping keep me accountable! Thanks for initiating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made a roll of polenta last weekend for the first time, baked in the oven like a veggie lasagna but just one layer it was very good. I have made it from "scratch" if you get the quick cook it's like making oatmeal.
    Have a great Friday!

    PS... I made your CUBANS that week they were a HIT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl...that sounds delicious..the perfect winter meal. :)

    Winter...it's in the 60's here....mildest winter ever.

    Anyway, I'm totally pinning this recipe to use next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I posted a recipe I just shared on my blog. I guess I never thought much about how healthy it is. But it's sure delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just left a nice snack option for you!
    One batch makes 2- 12oz servings so if you make 2 batches all four of you could have one!
    And I promise they are so yummy you forget how healthy they are :)

    Biz

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ok, this is SO fun!! Love this idea - NEED new ideas ALL.THE.TIME.

    Happy friday to you, sweet Becky....

    xoxoxo - Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you purchase ground beef in bulk, you can cook it in a large pot on the stove then divide it up into freezer bags and freeze. Quick last minute meal waiting in your freezer, and you only clean up the mess once!

    ReplyDelete
  20. you reminded me my childhood days, when i used to leave with my family.



    Family Loan Contract

    ReplyDelete
  21. this.looks.good.
    and i adored your home tour at heather's.
    thanks for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts. I love hearing what YOU have to say:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails