Wednesday, October 26, 2011

take me home

 (Big chick's first purse purchase)

My mom and dad left this morning.  I always cry.  Even though I was ready for them to go I hate saying goodbye.  Absolutely excruciating!  Add PMS to the mix, and well...you get the drift.  Thank heavens I have my transitions class to look forward to this morning.  It's just the distraction I need.


Over the weekend we took them into Richmond.  Just so there is no confusion, I don't actually live in Richmond.  We are suburbanites and prefer to live away from a city...any city.


Everyone here always talks about Cary Street.  It's not too far from downtown and has loads of little shops and cute restaurants.  I'd eaten down there a few times, but had never done any shopping.  Can I just say I was a little disappointed?  I don't want to offend any Richmond people, but the shopping here is just not what I'm used to.  I greatly miss Minnesota's amazing shops.  Don't want to dwell on the past, but I'm grieving inside a bit over that loss.  Perhaps God is wanting to remove that unnecessary thing from my life.  It's not like I don't have everything I need.  Oh and we do have Ross, TJ Maxx, Target and Home Goods, so I've got those awesome shops.  I just miss the flea markety stuff that must just be a Midwest thing.  Oh and IKEA...the nearest one is 2 hours.  But that's okay.  Like I said I don't need anything.


I did manage to score a really cute jacket.  Have I ever told you I'm a jacket junkie??  I'm not wearing my new one in this picture.  I got the one I'm wearing on Melrose Ave. in LA.  Which come to think of it reminds me of Cary street...it's that kind of shopping.  Kind of weird items...expensive.  Just not normal stuff. 



Okay so after Cary Street we FINALLY went to Honey's work.  We've been here 3 months now and I've never seen his office.  Not sure if he's hiding it from me for a reason or what, but I was really curious. 




It's downtown...very urban.  Loved the old buildings and elevated railroad tracks.  It's right by the James River too.  The building he's in used to be an old tobacco warehouse and now it's been refurbished into really cool office spaces and lofts. 





Uh...can you say totally cool!  I was impressed.  It was bea-uti-ful.  I loved the tall ceilings and concrete pillars.  It had such a cool lofty feel to it. 



Maybe he's not impressed because his building in Minneapolis was a huge skyscraper and he had a big office with a window.  Regardless of that it seemed very nice.  I love having a picture in my mind of where he is now.


While he was telling my dad what he does everyday...for like the millionth time...I was bored and decided we needed a photo shoot with those cool killer pillars;)





Mom wouldn't join in on the fun.  Shame on her!!!





Our drive home. 

 
Had to show mom and dad Monument Avenue.  Not sure which statue this is, but that street is the coolest in the city.  Gorgeous row homes...charm and history just oozes!   




(playing dominoes)

Even though Richmond is only about 30 minutes away we ended up being gone all day.  Do you guys just melt when you come home after being gone a long time??  Something about kicking off those shoes, smelling familiar, changing into my sweats and just melting onto the couch...ahhhhh.  I'm not sure how or when it happened, but I prefer to be home.  I love the comfort of my dwelling place.  I'm sure mom and dad feel the same way.  Two weeks is a long time.  Home is going to look/feel/smell so good to them;)



Have a blessed day.



186.  honey's job
187.  2 weeks well spent
188.  a place to call home
189.  a nap in my near future
190.  my class of women who will make me feel so loved today.




191.  that my dad took home a little bit of Virginia with him!


Pin It!

39 comments:

  1. I am glad you had them for a while. A 14 day while.
    Super thankful you still have Ross and Marshall's
    You are beautiful Beck.
    Wishing you a very happy day. Love, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness...you got me all teary-eyed this morning. There is nothing like the haven of home. Amen.

    Love all your photos, as usual...you and your fam are all so sweet. Love Big Chick's purse choice...it's so perfect. ;)

    I love charm and history like that, too. Those pillers?!?!?! Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. work it girl. i knew you had some mad modeling skills. : )

    wow, now your honey sure does work at a cool urban place. so glad you can see him there now in your head.

    gorgeous pictures. i love the one of you girls on the steps. y'all are so perdy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful way to wrap up your parents' trip! Love the sweater you're wearing - and you totally own the camera! That pic of the statue is mighty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that sweater too. What a cool building to work in. My husband has worked where he is now for 8 years and I have never been in the building . I have only met one person that he works with.
    So glad you had a good time with your parents. I cry to when I leave my daughter.
    ALways wondering when the next visit will come. It takes me a week or so to return to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that sweater you are wearing in your photo shoot...and I really wish I could hang out with you for a day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just passing by and thought id stop to say hello. I'm checking new blogs today, and i hope you folks are enjoying the fall weather like we are having here in Pennsylvania. Richard from the Amish community of Lebanon county.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be Robert E. Lee. Great shot.

    Let's ride up to Potomac Mills and IKEA one day! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just have to say that seeing the picture with the caption about your daughter's first purse purchase made me smile.
    I remember the first purse I ever bought with my own money. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I remember having to tell my mom and dad goodbye. I'd be a sea of tears in no time flat. Goodbyes are not my cup of tea. I can't tell you how much I love looking at your gorgeous pictures, Becky. They always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Contended sigh.... in my sweats, on the couch, no less... yes I am such a home body and even though there must be a wee strain of gypsy in me, causing me to constantly daydream about travel and moving and starting afresh, I know THIS about myself: I will always be glad to come 'home' each day. I can't even begin to imagine my eternal home coming arrival, when I will be able to curl up on the couch of Heaven. Contended-beyond-belief-sigh......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those concrete pillars are fantastic! Visiting places is so much fun, but returning home is always better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures.
    You look FANTASTIC!
    And I totally understand the desire to be home.
    I really do enjoy being out with people and seeing new sights, but coming home is a comfort that can't be beat!

    Biz

    ReplyDelete
  14. you crack me up with your photo shoot in the middle of your honey's work...LOVE IT! you look great too! muwahh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's always hard saying goodbye! I'm happy that you had 2 whole weeks with your parents though...lovely! It looks like you were having so much fun at your hubby's office, it looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the cute pictures. And yes, there's no place like home!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would LOVE to live in a city. I miss living in Chicago so much. You are my hero, I could never have had my folks visit for 2 weeks. We wouldn't have all survived. Love the cute crocheted purse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love to see new things & places...but there is NO place like home:) And goodbyes always make me cry! Cool pix by the pillars; you're too cute, Becky:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your sweater!!!!!!!!!!! xo ashlyn

    ReplyDelete
  19. How do you do it? Love how you find beauty (and the "cool" factor) in ordinary things. Yes! Totally cool pillars!

    Hope it's not offending when I say I laughed out loud at your photo shoot....I'm assuming you were being silly! I would totally do the same thing for my boys. I.love.it. when they think I'm funny :O

    Your girls are adorable!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  20. I betcha you went into the ugly cry and I would be right there beside you fighting over the kleenex! I love home too ~ I love going away but there is no place like home. Enjoy the rest of your week sweetie. xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so stinkin' adorable.

    I also love the way hubs looks at you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed reading about your parents last day visiting you. You are so blessed to have them. But you already know that. :) I loved looking at all of your wonderful photos. You and your gorls are so very pretty. I have to ask.....what is the long object hanging from your necklace? It looks awesome.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hear ya on the home front. If I am gone for too many days in a row I get bummed. I like being in my home. It is just the best place to be.
    And look how cute you all are. Loved the modeling. I would have had shots with my eyes closed. My modeling needs practice!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the photo shoot in front of the pillar. How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very cute pictures. I am glad you are beginning to feel like 'it is your home'.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm feeling pretty darned impressed with your hubby's office and the city. Our little town has 6000 people, one main street and some side streets. I love it most of the time, but sometimes a little citified culture is nice!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i need to explore asheville's downtown more...after saturday, which i will tell you about later, i'm feeling totally depressed about the junking situation here. i know that sounds silly, but it's a big part of ME! minnesota just had these fabulous junking places and i loved it! and it was all reasonably priced! so ya, i'm feeling you girl. maybe we just haven't found our street yet...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yep...Homegirl here. The best 'thing' about going away is coming home!

    Looks like you're trimming down! There's NO WAY I'd let anyone photograph my backside right now, but Girl you are smokin'! :)

    Now you have me really curious about what boring thing your honey does.

    If fleas are a Mid West thing, why then am I hard pressed to fine a GREAT one in the Heartland? ;) There's ONE in Virginia ~ you just have yet to discover it!

    Have a pansey (flowers haha) of a day & think of all the 60* highs you're missing out on! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love it that you are just so real and cool and don't mind posting even the funnest pictures of you. Love that about you!!!!! Just fun and real as always!

    and your hubby's office, so very cool! I want to work there now!

    and well, lastly, pics of your girls...precious!

    ReplyDelete
  30. All I could think while reading this was, "Okay Beck... should we tell them yet??" Um... you KNOW... are we counting down days??? I am!!

    Okay and you have the cutest little tush. Sorry... I can totally get away with saying it. And I just did. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I hear you about the fleas and shopping in Virginia. ;) I think it's a southern thing. I went to the DC Big Flea a couple of years ago and there was hardly a piece of ironstone to be found. One of the vendors told me that Southerners like fancier, more ornate things. Compare the furniture in any antique store here verses elsewhere. I went to the Nashville Flea Market. Nothing. I keep telling my husband I need to go north or to Ohio (which is just a few hours for me.) I think it's interesting you mentioned Cary Street because my daughter who lives in Nova just visited there last weekend. She also said she would be open to moving to Richmond (anything to get out of Nova) in the future so I was looking at a map a couple of days ago. :) I am guessing you live west or south of the city. Have you been to Short Pump? I have heard it is "the" place to shop. :) If you find any great junking places, do tell. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Loved your blog and it's fun to share other parts of the country through the eyes of another. I love to travel and visit places but I'm happiest when at home. Thanks for sharing.
    God bless

    Jo XX
    Eliza Interiors & Design

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fun pictures--I have never been to Virginia but would love to someday. And I love the pictures--so cute!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your pictures....you look so pretty and I love the sweater you're wearing. Love what you said about "weird stuff" to shop for in Richmond like on Melrose...you don't get much weirder than that!

    ReplyDelete
  35. home..me too.
    sad with you on your mom and dad leaving but thankful for their visit and you sharing it with us.
    WAY cool place your honey works! it is good to see the playful you coming out..kinda feels weird when we are older but it brings us back to a place of being free before we worried so much what people thought. Your beautiful:) as always love your heart thoughts. Happy Friday
    :)xo

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm catching up on your posts, and I loved the guest post on being an artist. You truly do have a gift!

    It's funny you mentioned Cary street, I bought my wedding dress there a LONG time ago. It used to be, during my relatives time, a very fashionable place, but you are right, now it's kind of an expensive and eclectic area where I rarely find anything. And my sister used to live on Monument Avenue, near Strawberry Street...love that name!

    Your husband's office is very cool, I love the industrial feel of it!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I used to live in Richmond - thanks for the trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  38. It's a season with opportunities to learn and grow! You will love the fruit this process brings; and while it's not the most pleasant, one day you look back on it and treasure it. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  39. That building is awesome... and can I just say that you have a rocking' body. Is that weird?

    Anyway, Melrose is not my thing either. It's not accessible, you know?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts. I love hearing what YOU have to say:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails