Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Thrive Project




Good morning friends.  I've had an epiphany.  So many of you are interested in learning more about your camera and since I'll be posting once a week on what I learn...why don't you join me in the journey??  The only way to learn is to DO right??  Every Tuesday I'll give you an assignment and you can link up with me.  From that week's post I'll pick my two favorite photos and post them on the next week's post.  Then after my class is over I'll pick two of my all-time favorite pics and they will be the winners of one of my cuffs!  Isn't that brilliant??  Seriously I out do myself sometimes...ha!  Anyway please join me.  I can't wait to see what you all come up with.  Let's learn together!!! 


The only rules I have to enter is that you link up with my button somewhere on your linky post and that the pictures in the post represent that week's assignment.  I called it the Thrive Project because photography is just one area I want to thrive in this year.  It's my special word.  Now it's a project.  How cool is that?:)






This week's assignment was to play with shutter speed.  I have to admit I wasn't very inspired.  Shutter speed is just that.  How fast your shutter opens and closes.  The faster it closes the crisper the picture.  The slower it closes the more blurry the photo. 


Why in the world would you want your photo to be blurry you ask??  Well fancy schmancy photographers use shutter speed to make photos more interesting.  For instance you can capture the whizzing by of a car, the motion of a runner...a beautiful stream.  You can also freeze motion.  For instance if you are at a sporting event and want to freeze the running back catching the football, a super fast shutter speed will do that.  It gives movement to photographs (or stops it completely) and really is amazing if you have a good imagination.  I guess I don't...HA!  But I did play with it a bit.


These two picture were set to take really really slow.  Therefore the major blur!  Holy cow...it's like she's a ghost.  That's kind of cool actually:)






Here I increased the number a bit, but she's still in motion.  Oh and she's jumping up and down because she's going to the World's biggest indoor water park and she's excited..thus the lack of pants.  I assure you it's a swimsuit with a t-shirt that she's wearing.   For some reason I wasn't able to freeze the picture completely.  Remember I'm an amateur. 




I much prefer a crisp picture.  Isn't she a doll? 


On my camera shutter speed is TV on my dial.  TV stands for time value and when you play with the numbers the aperture sets automatically...whew:)  The higher the number you set it to the more frozen the picture will be.  The numbers are made into fractions.  So if you set your camera to 500, the fraction is 1/500 of a second.  That's super fast right.  No time for a blur.  If you set it to 30, that's 1/30 of a second....much slower and a blur will probably occur.   So that's pretty self explanatory. 



Compliments of Suzanne


Last week in class we took pictures of each other!  Oh NO!!!!!  Seriously I was slightly mortified, because believe it or not I do not like having my picture taken.  I have to be the one to do it.  I'm a control freak in that way for some reason. 


I was the last one.  I sat on the stool and every one pulled out their big fancy cameras and got inches away from my face.  When I'm uncomfortable I laugh and squirm and make horrible faces.  It was bad.  Oh and I was having a bad hair day, so my hair was in pigtails and I had a knit hat on.  UGH! 






Anyway these are just some of the beautiful people in my class. Everyone else seemed completely at ease having their picture taken.





Oh and Suzanne is like a super model.  She will tell you otherwise, but this girl knows how to strike a pose.  We are the "goof offs" in class.  I haven't had this much fun in a very very long time.  It's so good to laugh and be distracted from winter.


Okay so now it's your turn.  You can show me shutter speed or aperture if you want since I'm a week behind.  I will pick my two fav's and post them next week.  Hope you have some better examples than mine;)





Have a blessed day.






**Oh and this is the first time I've done the "linky" thing.  Let me know if you have any problems.**  It will stay open for 1 week.  So you have plenty of time.  And even if you don't have a dslr camera you can still play with shutter speed.  My point and shoot had those same settings...I don't care if it's in the auto mode (I think it shows a guy running).  It's all about learning...beginners welcome!! 






Farmgirl Paints





Pin It!

49 comments:

  1. how fun are you!
    i love it that you & suzanne are taking a class together. how absolutely fabulous!!
    i just starting messing with my shutter speed too as i prefer aperture priority.
    but the other night it was getting really dark & i wanted to take a landscape of my entire home.
    so i bumped up my shutter speed to take a quick crisp picture of my home & capture the lights on my front porch. turned out great.
    your cuff is too cute

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. time value, aperture, linky thing... this is foreign language to me. I just learned to post! Have fun!!! Your pictures are great and you my friend, would look great even in a sack cloth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cool thing! I can't get my old Canon Ae1 to work, otherwise, I would totally participate. I'm going to love looking at all the photos though!! :o)

    I hate for picture to be taken too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea. Hummmm looks like I'm going to have to get busy messin' with my camers.

    megan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo exciting - THANKS I need some photography inspiration/motivation, though I don't have a DSLR yet, I'll see what I can do with the camera I do have. This is VERY fun Becky! I want to win one of your cuffs too, so it's totally a win win situation. I learn more about photography and might win a cool cuff! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this idea, becky! how clever are you?! you're forcing me to fiddle with my camera...will be linking up later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could participate (sad face - no dSLR yet), but I'll be very interested in the photography tips. It's something I want to develop this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The "Linky" thing will stay open ALL week, so you have plenty of time!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although I don't have a fancy smanzy camera to join in....Im so excited to just start to understand the functions since my camera does have a lot of functions just not a great lens, etc
    Excited to just learn a bit
    Thanks for sharing all this
    And btw...I get really nervous with up close photos too...I don't ever let anyone take them up closs bc I get so nervous and figety (sp)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so great to see your progress, and I'm loving that pic of Suzanne, what a doll!!!
    I'm jealous, I wanna be in a class like yours!

    XOXO,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. my camera manual doesn't have cute pictures of little girls jumping for joy, so i'm going to follow along with you and suzanne. i would totally get kicked out of class. so here, i can misbehave and still learn something, right? if i figure out how to do the *linky love* thing, i will let you know. and link up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such happy,
    happy pictures,
    Becky! I tried
    linking up, but
    got an error message.
    I'll try again in
    a bit.....Looking
    forward to laughing
    with you at class
    today : ) !
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds super fun Becky! I'm already wondering what I should take a picture of. Btw, I can't stand having my pictures taken either and have to do it myself, so you're not alone :) Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah - I love taking pics but not too good with my camera. I tried to link up but got an error - probably on my end - LOL. I will try it again later. Have a blessed day and thanks again for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah - it worked this time. I'm just not sure how to "link" to my blog. Blessings to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the title "Thrive Project." Very cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Girl you are going to work that camera in no time!! What a great idea and inspiring others is what is so important, and look at you, you are doing it!! :) Hope you had a good weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it!! What is written on your hand??? I have to know! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea! Your pictures are turning out so great and I love that you are having so much fun learning and then teaching us!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wooo hooo! I'm so in! So funny, I was playing with shutter on my camera on Friday - and I linked up to it! I will plan on it being a regular posting on my blog - I just know this will take off - thank you for hosting this!

    LOVE YOUR TIPS!!!

    And such beautiful photos of your classmates - beautiful beautiful!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are a smarty pants!!! I lovvvvvve this idea!!!!

    Oh, and you're also the world's best teacher. I should send you a mug that even says so to make it official! : )

    I can't wait to link up this week! I must get to photo taking. So thrilled!

    One blurry like Sagey poo coming right up!

    You are the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I got so excited that I forgot a few things...

    1. Your Thrive button is perfect.

    2. Your cuffs are amazing.

    3. I can't wait to buy the one I want! I'm saving up! : ) Soon!

    4. The pic of you from class is so full of fun! It captures exactly who you are!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So I don't have a blog to link it back to, so I just used yours! Hope that works and my photo still qualifies! What a fun idea and great project!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excited! I got a new camera for Christmas - not a DSLR, but about as close as you can get without the fancy lens. :) I read the entire manual...except the spanish parts...but I learned about the same amount as if I'd only read the spanish section! It has all of these functions and I'm excited to be learning about them here! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the pictures of your classmates. And the one of you is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh thank you for the photography tips! When it comes to aperture, shutter speed, etc...I need alot of help:)
    P.S. Bad hair day?? You look stinkin' cute;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oooooo, sounds like fun! I'll be joining in for sure. See you next week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was so relieved to read that was a swimsuit. :0)
    I've GOT to work on my shutter speed!!

    I WILL measure my wrist. I WILL....

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such a wonderful idea! I can't wait to follow along each week!!!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love that you have writing on your hand!! =) and I would do the same thing... I would laugh so hard I would cry sitting in the spotlight chair!! I hope to have a dslr one day... and take a class... alas ... this is not my year... =( I played with photography a little when I had a 35 mm Nikon... with all the manual features... I think my new snap and shoot has manual features... but it just isn't the same... =) I love your tips ... you make it sound so easy the way you explain it!! For now I will be creative with fun shots, play with lighting and positions, etc etc!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  31. GOsh, I would LOVE to take that class! The women you photographed are just beautiful (and beautiful shots!) :) Thanks for the inspiration to play with my settings!! It's been a long time since I did that!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am in!!

    http://climbingthelatter.blogspot.com/2011/01/learning-new-trick.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are going to a class? That is sO much fun. I love it. Love it. LOVE it! I am going to try to remember this so I can do it next week. You know I am a horrible remember though...so maybe you want to remind me : )

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yeah! My first linky party! I hope I did that all correctly!
    Biz

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm always late tot he party but I want to play too!! I'll have to play cath up tomorrow.:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. BTW- did you already cover how to get the light so pretty yet?? My pictures always seem so dark nd orangy!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Okay- seriously I have photographer friends who have sat down and tried to teach me this stuff and I never get it! I read your blog and wah-la I'm taking the kinds of photos I could never figure out. Thanks for sharing the lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I wish I was in a class like that. A bunch of great gals and something fun to learn. How good can it get!
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who takes notes on her hand. I used to be a police officer and it made my supervisor so mad. He was forever going to the supply closet in the office and giving me notebooks. By the time I left I could have opened a notebook store! lol

    ReplyDelete
  39. keep practicing. those blurry photos will be perfect soon ! i just know they will.

    i always always shoot in aperture. it makes my life so easy. and people moving and jumping are my signature shots :)

    and now i have to look at those straps :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh Becky I wish I could enjoy doing this with you all but I only have a Nikon small digital camera. One day I hope to have a cameral like yours. My hubby used to take wedding photos and graduation pictures with his old fashioned 35 mm Nikon camera, but I would have no idea how to use it since it is not digital.

    Anyway, I will enjoy seeing everyone else post their creative photos.

    ♥Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is going to be SO fun!! I can't wait to learn loads about my new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I just had to comment and say how much I LOVE your blog! I really feel as if I know you through your blog.. your faith and your love for your family is so apparent and it inspires me every time I read it. What an awesome picture of your daughter.. kids make it all worthwhile don't they? I have a priceless picture of my daughter's face when she saw the entrance to Disney World :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a great little project Becky! I just may have to grab my camera over the week-end and play along...

    ReplyDelete
  44. I feel like such a dork! I have never linked before so I linked to the wrong post the first time...that is why my darling daughter is in double vision! This is going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I feel like such a dork! I have never linked before so I linked to the wrong post the first time...that is why my darling daughter is in double vision!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh, Becky, whenever I get a real camera, I'll join in! For now, I'll just stalk.

    My fave photo you've taken so far is this close up of your wrap bracelet. So creative.

    ReplyDelete
  47. sounds like fun! You should consider checking out clickitupanotch.com

    It has been so helpful for me in improving my photography skills

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi! I jumped over from Carissa's blog (lowercase) and I just love this idea! I'm trying to learn more about my camera and I really would love to play! I think I'll link up to your next assignment (don't think I have the time to squeeze this one in). Also, you are such a talented lady, your paintings are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oooo! I'm so excited! Found you on lowercase letters and I {Heart} you already! Anyone who is going to take a photography class and share the wealth of knowledge gets an A+ in my book! I just got my first DSLR and have no clue how to use it! I am so excited to learn with you and thank you so much for sharing! I'm going to link up a picture soon!

    Jeana
    inplaceofhercrown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts. I love hearing what YOU have to say:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails