Translate

Click here to SHOP!

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Prescription for Contentment




This past week I finally got my hands on the book Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow. A few people had told me how great this book was and so I had to check it out for myself. Eye opening would be my first words to describe it. She starts off sharing about two very different women...one who has everything and complains constantly and then one who has nothing and is completely content.







Obviously the latter woman is who I would like to be. The search for contentment seems to be like finding a unicorn or the pot of gold under the rainbow. In this case I know it's real...contentment is REAL. Just how do I find it and when I do...how do I keep it??



The content woman in her book had a diary where she kept her prescription for contentment:


* Never allow yourself to complain about anything - not even the weather.

* Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else.

* Never compare your lot with another's.

* Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.

* Never dwell on tomorrow - remember that [tomorrow] is God's, not ours.







Ummm does anyone else feel like a complete and total loser right now?? I know I do and when I read this to my husband he actually got a little mad. He was like I do all of those things!!! How is that even realistic?


Then we had a discussion about the difference between being content and being goal oriented or driven. Is it wrong to want more...to pursue dreams...to strive for better?? This chapter obviously struck a chord with us both, but I knew that it would. We have struggled with contentment in lots of areas in our journey together. So what if this book is just what we need?!





I'm excited! I got the companion journal to go along with the book, and so far I've been recording my thoughts and just learning to let God be the one in Control. God...is the blessed controller of all things, the king over all kings and the master of all masters. (I Timothy 6:15, PH)

We've also been "challenging" ourselves not to complain. Amazing how if you start paying attention to that one area how God will make you aware of every little word that comes out of your mouth. OUCH! It's a little painful...this process, but I want that pot of gold. To be content in all things and to trust completely...wow is there anything more valuable???





Have a blessed day.





All photos found here.

Pin It!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails