Translate

Click here to SHOP!

Monday, October 7, 2013

memory picking:)

 

The weather matched my mood today.  After a week plus of bright sunny skies we had our first dark rainy day.  It seemed fitting.  I sifted through pics with the lights off in my studio, the house pin drop quiet, thunder rolling in the distance.  The solitude magnified because my folks just left. This afternoon I curled up on the couch and watched Grey's Anatomy for two solid hours.  I never do that in the middle of the day.  It was nice.  I needed the downtime.

It's a forced "semi-rest" when they come.  I say semi because we are on the GO the whole time.  Doing fun things, but still it's running.  I love it.  For a homebody/workaholic like me a little running is like therapy...a very nice break. 

They were here ten full days this time:)  When they come I step away from the cuffs, and the computer and try to unplug a bit.   We ran all over creation.  We ate at little diners.  We drove for miles to explore every antique store we could possibly find.  We played dominoes and mom made dinner.  We watched the Voice.  It was good.  It was family time.

While they were here we went over to Charlottesville. I love that town.  We had apple cider donuts, and tromped through the orchards with little chick on a mission;)  We nabbed bags of Jonagold apples and promptly came home chopped them all up, and stewed them in the crockpot on low all day.  Talk about warm sweet apple goodness.  These were a little tart, so we sprinkled in cinnamon and sugar.  We even splurged and bought some vanilla ice cream and poured the warm stewed apples over it.  So yummy!
The rest of the week was filled with treasure hunting and projects.  We are moving my studio down to the basement.  It's time to spread out a little.  I was hunting for a dresser to turn into a bathroom vanity and found this beaut!  She screamed green to me...so Eden green she became:)  I promise to show the end result.  It may take a bit.  We've got plumbers, electricians and sheet rock people to work around...but I promise it will be worth the wait;)





We also got spray paint happy and finally took down some chandies we've been wanting to change.  I love the pop of color it added to the dining room. 




We celebrated little chick's birthday early.  Making cupcakes with woodland creatures;)  Cutest little toothpicks ever.  
This visit I hit old things gold and found a sweet little blue VW bug and red vintage clock.  I think my thermos collection is now complete...inspiration came from Megan.  Loved the rusty green lunch pail...reminds me of my daddy:)  My Canvas People prints came!!  Oh and see that awesome HUGE globe I scored?  I had vowed not to buy any more, but it was just too good to pass up.  And last but not least...the happiest little milk truck ever.  I had just finished doing my scary thing, and felt like a reward was in order.  That's better than a cookie right?;) 

Remember that talk I was supposed to give??  Well I did it!!!!  And the Lord completely met me in that moment and it went great.  Seriously best feeling in the world.  What I imagine running a marathon might feel like.  Crossing that finish line.  Whoosh!  I videoed myself practicing and spent a long time trying to figure out how to put it on here and finally gave up.  If I figure it out I'll let you see it.
 

Someone commented on Instagram this week and said that I should be an American Picker;)  Oh MAN!  First of all I LOVE that show.  I could spend hours watching them drive all over, meeting new people, learning the history behind their finds.  What an amazing job!  But here's the kicker...I don't think I could let my "treasures" go.  I'm sentimental to the core.  You put a hunt, with a story and a memory tied to it and I hold it close.  Maybe too close as I look around my house with all of it's little collections. 

I know one thing for sure.  I treasure my people.  And that's a good thing.  These visits I don't take for granted.  These memories we make going here and there mean the world to me.  I guess I'm just a good old fashioned memory picker!  And that truly IS the best job in the world:)
 





Just in case you missed these...
a few of the heartfelt blog posts I've read lately.
Sasha's decision to go gray.
Alicia's heart laid bare.
Tiffini stepping back.
Jackie bravely facing the C word.
Jeanne speaks out.
 




**So I'm taking off on Thursday to visit some friends in sunny Southern California!!!  I am so SO excited.  It's a trip we've talked about for years.  If you want to follow along on Instagram my name is farmgirlpaints.  See you in a week or so.





Be a blessing.







lovin' from papa
dominoes with Grandma Dixie
Lissa and Tracy here I come!
gorgeous weather...leaves painted and getting ready to FALL:)
a full house!

Pin It!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails