Friday, May 25, 2012

thanksgiving in may


Good morning friends.  My family is on the move...we are heading somewhere exciting this Memorial day weekend.  I can't wait to share it with you next week.  EEEK!!  I love a good long holiday weekend.  I hope you all have something fun planned too.  Tell me if you do:)

Okay so I was sifting through my pictures and came across these I took last week.  Remember I gave myself an awesome birthday gift and signed up for an art class at our botanical garden here in Richmond??


I really really enjoyed the tranquility of that week.  I didn't know a soul.  I got in my car...GPS ready...and navigated through the city to a place I'd never been before.


I felt completely out of my element artistically though.  I was challenged.  And by challenged I mean I sucked at pastels;)  It's all good though, because when you try a new thing you sharpen your other skills, and I think in the long run it will help me grow as an "artist".


I've taken a few art type classes, and every teacher just kind of guides you and then turns you free.  I find that frustrating.  I like hands on, show me what to do,  kind of learning.  And when I get frustrated I kind of shut down, and decide to throw it in the trash when I get home.  Grrrr patience in the journey is not my strong point. 



I mostly enjoyed sitting in the gardens and really just soaked in every little sound of the birds chirping...children laughing in the distance.  I honestly need to stop and smell the roses a bit more in my life.  How often do we really slow down and appreciate what's around us? 


God created this!  And it's there for me to enjoy.



Thank you Lord for what's right in front of me, if I just open my eyes and soak it all in.  So master of pastels or not it was a very good week:)


******************************************

My recipe this week is not really a recipe.  I'm getting pretty simple here.  I roasted a turkey, and as fancy as that sounds it wasn't.  I bought a roasting turkey in a bag.  Inside there was a cooking bag.  I plopped it in a pan, cut in a slit and baked it according to the directions.  It was DELICIOUS.  I'm all about healthy, simple and easy.  This met all the criteria.  I added some instant mashed potatoes (remember I don't like to cook), homemade gravy (recipe was on the bag) and a veggie.  So there you have it.  A meal without a recipe:)


If you want, link up with me and let's feed our families:)










Happy long weekend friends:)




590.  nature that begs me to appreciate
591.  a thanksgiving dinner in may
592.  weekend plans
593.  lunch with a friend
594.  clean bathrooms
595.  a five mile run that made me feel invincible


596.  my new favorite cuff
597.  mani/pedi's with my sugar sistas



Pin It!

26 comments:

  1. meals without recipes are my favorite kind! how'd you know??

    the gardens really are so very pretty. i thought your painting turned out lovely! :) probably cause i think you're the bees knees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can always count on you to put a smile on my face. Can't wait to see your creations of the art class. Love your new favorite cuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first photo is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wish i was as brave as you to take an art class like that! :)
    recipeless meals are my fave!
    and so is simple and easy.
    i hope you have an awesome weekend!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh have such a great time! thanks for the sweet words today :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so pretty. Your turkey made me smile! Wishing you a weekend filled with lots of adventures! I just love your family. Sending lots of love to my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful gardens:O) Love your Blog it always makes me smile:O) Have a great weekend:O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so much fun! I linked up too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. my kids had instant mashed potatoes recently at their grandmas house and when we were at costco, they saw them and BEGGED me to buy some. i've made them a few times to go along with lunch (homeschooling means i have to make lunch for 3 little people) but, it's been an easy addition--and they love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your button so much I used it as my picture what a knucklehead.

    Have a blast and safe travels.

    We have a graduation and a beach day.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. and so now why I do think that your pastels were beautiful????

    I would LOVE to join you on your weekend adventure.
    we have no big plans.
    we have no small plans either
    we have no plans

    your pictures are wonderful and your thoughts mirror mine...slow down, look around and be thankful
    sounds easier than it is, though, right?

    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You may not have felt great about the class, but I hope you see the beauty in your photographs. I LOVE the first one too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that garden....I am going crazy over roses this year! Keep trying new things and working at them until they aren't new anymore. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to sit in that garden and wear your shoes. They are sooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking so forward to hearing all about your trip! We're heading out to a hot air balloon festival...hope I can capture some neat pictures! Enjoy your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can just picture
    the four of you,
    right now.....You
    will have a ball!

    I love turkey but
    E isn't really into
    "bird," as she calls
    it, so I rarely make
    it except for T-day.
    It does sound yummy,
    though!

    Here's to stopping
    to smell the roses....!

    Happy Weekend,
    xo S

    ReplyDelete
  17. I get frustrated and emotional if I have a hard time learning something quickly ... which always surprises me.

    I like it that you tried something new ... I think I will try something new this week.

    Happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Becky,

    I hope that you and your family have lots of fun this weekend where ever you are going.I enjoyed looking at your garden photos they are so pretty.Ialso love the photo of you wearing one of your beautiful leather cuffs.

    This is always low key weekend for Wayne and I.He will be painting the house while I plant some flowers etc... :)


    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whenever I am out enjoying nature on a walk, visiting the ocean or mountains or just driving down a tree lined street in the summer I have a moment with God. He is so creative and the best artist!

    Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures, and the reminder that we can have turkey in May. I am going to make one soon. Great idea!
    Enjoy your weekend, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a little computer challenged LOL - My "linky" is not working -sounds like a personal problem. But wanted to share this one:

    Garlic Ritz Chicken

    4 Chicken Breast
    2 Sleeves of Ritz Crackers
    Extra Light Olive Oil
    Salt, Pepper, Garlic
    Parmesan Cheese
    2 Large Baggies
    Baggie One - Pour Olive Oil (Maybe 1/2 cup)
    Baggie Two - Crackers, Salt, Pepper, Garlic and cheese - crush them all up.
    Put the chicken in bag one.
    Then bag two and shake up.
    The chicken will be nicely coated.
    Put in baking dish and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until done

    Seriously the juciest chicken you will ever eat!

    Hope you like it :)


    Have a blessed weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a treat you gave yourself for your birthday...a good challenge...a chance to grow! You should be proud:) Have fun & safe travels this holiday weekend, dear Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We are in Southport, North Carolina for a beach weekend with my in-laws. So thankful to have sand between my toes!

    Were you at Maymont Park for your art lessons? I went to the University of Richmond for my first two years of college. That was a while ago ;) so my memories of Richmond are somewhat faded, but I remember going to Maymont several times and how beautiful it was.

    Your photos are lovely. :)

    Happy long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have fun with your family, friend!
    Your pictures in this post are so beautiful....I'm in desperate need of stoping and smelling the roses with my camera!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't had instant potatoes in years ~ I should pick up an envelope so I can be just like you!! lol Enjoy your long week-end Becky ~ can't wait to see where you went. xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. with grounds like that, i think i would've signed up for the art class, skipped the pastels and just hung out in the garden. gorgeous.

    i hope you and your crew are having a lovely weekend--can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE your new fav cuff girl!! so something I would want. Might have a proposition for ya soon:)

    You look so in your element here. This is where you belong in so many ways.

    and Turkey..I laughed! I love turkey any time of the year and I so get it:)
    happy day friend:)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts. I love hearing what YOU have to say:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails