Saturday, January 14, 2012

put your love glasses on

I got my nails done yesterday.  It was one of those squeezed in, last minute, let's get this in kind of appointments.  I really just wanted to sit and read a magazine, completely decompress and let the vibrating chair bounce me into submission.  It's me month right?  That sounded like a good plan.  Marta had other ideas for me.


She was a sweet Puerto Rican, full of life, full of spunk nail girl who would not let me relax.  She proceeded to tell me ALL about herself...in a very quick, hard to understand accent.  All about her life in the states, and her two kids in Puerto Rico who just didn't want to come to Virginia, so she left them with her mom.  They are 5 and 12!  Huh?  I didn't pry even though I was very curious.  As I lifted my magazine back up to my eyes Marta would start again.  Finally after several attempts to veg, I tossed it aside and I listened to her talk about her weekends clubbing with her girlfriends while her husband is on business.  I listened to her talk about what movies she liked, what food she cooks, what her best friend in Puerto Rico does for exercise.  I listened.



Something clicked as I listened to Marta.  This is going to sound simple, but it's revolutionary.  What if our real mission in life is to be like Jesus??  WHAT??  Can you see it?  The skies are opening up...bells are ringing.  I just stumbled onto something BIG!  What if it's not about surrounding yourself with people like you, but opening yourself up to strangers and letting them in...people completely 100% different than you, people who you have absolutely nothing in common with, people who make you laugh and look at life differently.  What if it's not about surrounding yourself with mirror images and those with common interests, but just the opposite?? 





I'm not sure why, but for some reason alot of the people here are just that for me.  What if instead of holding "differences" at arms length I'm to embrace them fully and let these people wiggle into my heart and in the process show them love....HIS love.  I can feel it.  My love glasses are starting to come out.  I'm tired of squinting at the sun.  I'm fully ready to sport my new look and it's got hearts and glitter and sparkle all over it.




Have a blessed day.






365.  freshly painted nails
366.  letting down my guard
367.  giving my time with nothing in return
368.  little chick was invited to a b-day party
369.  fergie all volumized from her bath
370.  sticking with my diet and feeling wonderful
371.  alicia..."the little sister" i didn't know i needed


Pin It!

25 comments:

  1. ooohhh, yes!
    thank you so much for this!
    how i long to be more like Him!
    not a respecter of persons....lovingly opening up my life to all...out of my comfort zone.
    this could indeed revolutionize the world, if everyone would join in!
    xoxo
    gorgeous pic of you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, you got to the heart of the matter. Simply said...BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sharing these thoughts, becky! such a good reminder that we are to love like Jesus wherever we go and whoever we meet. bet your nails looks great, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great with love glasses on ... I bet Marta thought so, too.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think listening to people talk. Listening. Not judging, but hearing them. This is an active act of love. It was good for me to read this tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it.
    something similar is on my heart this weekend...posted about it this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is IT!! You got it baby girl! LOVE you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww, yes...what if...I need to remember this, becky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For sure, we have to get out of our boxes! What a great entry that hit very close to my heart! I know you touched Marta's heart. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great realization Becky and love the song you put along with it. Makes you stop and think and I adore moments like that and a manicure to boot ~ that's a win win in my book. Happy week-end. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen sister!
    It is easy to migrate to those we feel a common bond with, but some of my most meaningful friendships were with people who were totally different than I am!
    I learned so much from them and even if the friendship was short lived, the lessons learned with lifelong!
    You rock those Love Glasses! They look good on you!!!

    Biz

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is where it's at... being His hands and feet. even if it means getting your nails done! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes. exactly this.

    love you, my becky. you're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love when that happens. I really, really love it. I love when I am so convicted by ME and I listen to Jesus. I listen to the Marta's. I stop being selfish and I listen. Tonight as I fall asleep I will be praying for Marta. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to be far from her kids. I can't imagine clubbing while they were far from me. I pray Jesus gives Marta peace tonight. Thank you for putting your magazine down and listening. You are a beautiful soul.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You make me proud to call you my friend. Love you girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i think you might just be onto something : ) stepping outside and seeing others who we may not have every met/talked to is so very good. love this, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heart shaped glasses are flattering on you. You are SO SWEET to recognize that Marta needed a listening ear....and heart. You are perfect for her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Profound message, I will surely remember to put my love glasses on daily, great post Becky! Way to turn a negative into a positive and then share the lesson, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. my husband teaches me this every single day. Rick Warren in his book the Purpose Driven Life, refers to some people as EGR's. Extra grace required. yah, we all know someone right? Well my husband seems to attract them. I call him a freak magnet. LoL! But he has such a heart for people like that and he listens. It humbles me and I have learned a lot about kindness and compassion by watching him. Thanks for sharing your experience. Now, lets see a picture of the freshly painted nails! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is my favorite post! So profound and I see it so clearly as well. We all need to put our love glasses on and see life less critically and be open to the newness we may see facing us!
    Thank you so much for sharing this post I look forward to wearing my love glasses throughout this new year!
    xo,
    Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you God, for Marta! Becky you put into sweet, simple words what truly is our task here on earth. This Sunday our pastor preached a message that went straight to my heart--what if we as Christians prayed, every morning, to let God's love shine through us today. And to please bring someone into our path who needs to see His love in us. Love glasses, baby! Putting mine on now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's when life
    really becomes full
    and rich ~ embracing
    the differences. Now,
    where'd I put my glasses....?

    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  23. gREAt post, becky! so love this!
    xo
    findingserendipity.com :)
    {I still can't figure out how to "comment as" my main blog??

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think you got it, 100% right! Loved this post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts. I love hearing what YOU have to say:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails