Wednesday, November 23, 2011

thankful i'm NOT a pilgrim OR a bus driver!





One of my favorite parts of being a stay at home mom is going on field trips.  I love arriving at school, putting on my little name tag and blessing my little one with my undivided attention for a WHOLE day:)  Whenever she sees me she always runs up and about knocks me over.  Tears rim her eyes.  She's got a sensitive heart.  She gets it from me;)  Not sure why she's so happy to see me, but it warms my heart and makes me feel SO loved.


I think I'm crushin' on this one here...and he's possibly crushing on me;)  What a little ham.  The bus driver played music on the way home and this one was dancin' it up big time.  He would turn around every now and then and just pose for me.  Giving me that look. 




The one thing I HATE about field trips is riding on the bus!  Holy nightmare.  My head was pounding by the time we got there.  Everybody takes it up about 10 million decibels and only know how to scream.  How this bus driver stays sane is beyond me.  He was loving it though.  He actually encouraged the craziness.  He called it the "party bus"...WHAT??  I kept wondering why such a sweet older gentleman would want to be driving a bus full of rowdy kids.  Wouldn't it be much nicer to be home reading the paper, sipping some tea and leisurely tending a garden or something??




Okay so I'm writing this post right before Thanksgiving because this IS why we celebrate.  This is where it all went down.  Back in 1611 settlers came to this area and were ordered to find and secure a new town for the colony. 



They toiled the land.  The main harvest being tobacco.


They dressed really funny and worked HARD to live in a land that was harsh.  Imagine having to make everything.  Imagine having to kill or grow everything you ate.  UGH!  That would have done me in.  My microwave takes too long in my opinion;)  



They became soldiers and fought the Indians who were not so happy to see them.






 Uh dude cover the nip!  Can you imagine this being your job?  He didn't speak.  He just wore his little Indian garb and eyeballed me with the camera.  I wasn't expecting a tat covered Indian, but I guess they existed right??  Anyway I'm not a history buff, but at some point certain Indians befriended the early colonists and helped them out, showing them how to hunt and farm. 


In the spirit of Thanksgiving can I just say I'm so THANKFUL I wasn't born during that time.  That I didn't have to work my fingers to the bone to just stay alive.  That I didn't have to worry about Indians killing my family or starving to death because I had no supplies.  I'm thankful for a furnace, microwave, television and computer.  I'm thankful I can walk through the woods and enjoy the trees and all things nature without having to worry about my life.
















I'm also thankful that one of my very favorite people/blogging friend is coming to see me today with her sweet little family. YAY!!!!!  Alicia from La Famille is my new North Carolina neighbor.  We are the closest thing to family near each other so we thought it only right to celebrate this holiday together.  We will cook, feast and then shop to our little hearts content on Friday.  I'm NOT a morning person, so that will interesting.  It should be a fun couple of days.  What does your Thanksgiving look like?? 



Happy Thanksgiving friends.
I love and appreciate you girls!




256. Alicia
257. PIE
258. mashed potatoes and gravy
259. sherbet floats
260. BIG sales
261. reflecting on all things good
262. did i say PIE?? ;)
263. HIS faithfulness...all our blessings come from Him!


Pin It!

41 comments:

  1. I can hardly imagine the hard work it took in the beginning of this country. What a cool field trip, though! I will be hosting dinner/lunch here tomorrow for my parents and sister. What a blessing that Alicia will be joining you...have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and that bus driver is a hoot! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just read Alicia's post
    and came over to visit you

    love the field trip
    with all its reminders of how truly
    wonderful it is that those early pilgrims
    came here out of faithfulness to their Lord

    and that the sacrifices they made
    mean that i get to live the life i have today

    what a fun field trip!

    happy Thanksgiving
    and enjoy it with your newfound friends.

    alison

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that bus driver is a very, very special man! : ) And your crush? Adorable to the max!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to say happy Thanksgiving. Happy, happy Thanksgiving to you! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is such a cool field trip!!! we have something simliar that the kids do here, I even participaed when I was younger and wound up in Southern Living magazine!! haha!! we have "The Agirama" my family even has a house there that one of my great uncles donated.

    Yay for friends to share thanksgiving with!!

    our thanksgiving was interrupted for the 3rd year in a row, but we'll rise to the occasion.

    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. um...the little boy?? seriously laugh out loud, girl. what a lady's man...ha!! and yes, i'm thankful i wasn't born then either...we totally would've starved!
    so happy to be on your thankful list and you KNOW you're on mine. xo, see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, I love "my microwave takes too long in my opinion!" hahahah!

    That last picture of just the trees is so lovely! Gorgeous colour - ours is all gone - woke up to a white world today!

    Have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm so dang jealous of alicia. but also really happy for you both! maybe your south carolina neighbor will see you next time. : )

    even though you had to endure that party bus, how cool to visit the place where everything began. that's one reason i love the south - so much history!

    happy thanksgiving, my dear!

    ps. i'll be adding your button. so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That "Indian" cracked me up....wow, so realistic...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Or a turkey............this looks like a great field trip. Hard to believe that life used to be so primitive. It so good for the children to see that.
    I used to go on the field trips. Those buses are so bumpy.
    Have a great Thanksgiving in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait for the day of field trips.
    Honestly field trips are one of the reasons I wanted to be a stay at home mom!
    I'm loving the tat covered indian haha!
    Enjoy having Alicia there...I'm sure y'all will have a blast!

    Biz

    ReplyDelete
  13. AMEN! sooooo glad i wasn't born back then! if having a baby and taking care of my family is hard for me now, i can't imagine what it would be like without all these conveniences!!
    we are heading to my husband's parents' house a few hours away to spend the weekend! it's our baby's first thanksgiving!!
    enjoy yours and your time with alicia (i read her blog too!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Thanksgiving, friend! I hope it is full of 'happy' all weekend long!

    And may the force be with you...I have never done the whole Black Friday thing. I can't stand a crowd, so always assumed I would get to throwing a few elbows! I just can't bring myself to do that before 10am. ;o)

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. i already told alicia i was jealous of her, and i am of you too! have fun girls, it's such a blessing your families can still spend this holiday together!

    ~tiff

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgivimg with Alicia and both your families! What a great way to celebrate this year!!!!!!
    xo,
    Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I'm so thankful I wasn't born a pilgrim;) Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours, Becky!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful pictures! Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aaaw....I love the school bus driver. And your school bus crush! I think we've all had one of those. (But it looks like you may have some competition in the bus ahead of you ;)

    I love a tender-heart....it matches mine. I got teary just imagining your little chick greeting you like that.

    Thanksgiving plans.....sigh. My husband and I wish so badly we could just stay home or spend it with friends. Both sides of our families put the "Dis" in function :(. Sad but true. But we'll make the most of it.....cuz that's what we do. At least I have my own little family that hopefully knows how much I adore them!

    Happiest of Thanksgivings,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Thanksgiving sweet Becky. I agree I would never have done well being a Pilgrim ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving Becky ~ envious as with all the talk of turkey, stuffing and PIE ~ I want some now!! Enjoy your visit with Alicia and all the sales.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My youngest is on the edge of whether he wants me to come on a field trip or not. Last year, I went as a chaperone (sp) for the World Equestrian Event. That was a ton of fun. I would have LOVED to have gone on your field trip - I love it when my boys get that kind of history.

    Happy Thanksgiving - and so glad you had an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun day for you both, Becky! I love going to those "settlements" and diving into the way of life as it used to be. It DOES make you appreciate what you have, doesn't it? I'm grateful that I'm spoiled. lol! Have a blessed Thanksgiving, sweetie!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think I could die happy after going to that little field trip place!!!!!!!

    Give Alicia a squeeze for me... and have a GREAT time tomorrow. LOVE YOU BOTH to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Doing a little blog hopping among friends while taking a brief holiday break from cards and have to say...your title is the BEST! Made me smile. :0

    Happy Thanksgiving to you, Mama!
    xo,
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love visiting your blog and reading what you write and looking at your photos. I certainly got a few chuckles here tonight. The "party bus" caught me off guard and made me chuckle out loud. I hope that you and your family all have a very Happy Thanksgiving day. Thanks for being you!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so with you on this! I love our conveniences, including indoor plumbing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just gave my sister in
    law the Alicia "Give Thanks"
    banner, so had to drop by
    to wish you both a very
    Happy Thanksgiving! We
    took the train down to my
    brother's yesterday, where
    I fell into bed with the flu.
    Slept the entire day! Feeling
    a bit better today, but not
    being able to hold my little
    nieces and nephews is a
    killer : ( Praying all the kiddos
    at your house are well. Grateful
    for you both!

    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy thanksgiving to your and the sweet sweet Alicia and your families...
    We have a sensitive gorgeous soul in our house like your little one- I wouldn't change it for the world...bless them...

    Hope you're having a wonderful *turkey* day together...

    Melissa -Miss Sew & So x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awww, you have such sweet girls! I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

    Thank you SOOO much for my awesome charm bracelet. I got to wear it for my Tday celebrations and it was a hit! Of course, my sweet 9 month old tried to eat it, but I could hardly blame her. :) Thanks again for the giveaway and for using your special creative gifts to bless and inspire others. xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. love this post.
    love that you live close enough to take field trips like this!
    Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. so excited that the hutchinson's are there celebrating all there is to be thankful for with you and your fam! i sure miss them around here. good luck with the shopping! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. The bus driver is awesome!! How fun you got to ride the party bus! I don't get to do field trips because of Sam, but if I'm honest, I'm not complaining. :) Seven years in kids' ministry wore me out! lol :) Happy Thanksgiving, pretty friend!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hope your first Thanksgiving in you new place was a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  35. i'm putting in a request for that bus driver. what a neat guy! hannah is so excited to one day ride the bus...i'd feel better with him behind the wheel!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ha ha, did you know I was a school bus driver for 8 years? Yes, the craziness of it! I did a few field trips and sports runs and a lot of subbing (the worst!) before I landed a fulltime route. And while there were a lot of great things about driving bus and I am thankful for the stint I had, still the three things I was most thankful for as a bus driver were June, July and August. :) At least when you are driving bus all your troubles are behind you. Ha. Haha. Happy Thanksgiving! I do have much to be thankful for!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. i loved your story and your photos (and found the shortly cropped, whitish tattoo'd indian quite interesting!) :)
    hope you had wonderful thanksgiving and can't wait to see those pics! :)
    patty@ findingserendipity.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful.I haven't visited your blog in a long time. I think I misplaced it on my browser for a while.I'm not sure how one does that! ;)???
    Blessings!
    Patrice
    www.everydayruralty.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Warms my heart just being here listening to you.
    Your little angel is so sweet and what a fun day you had!
    Thankful for you!

    Deborah xoxoxooxox

    ReplyDelete
  40. omg, cover the nip! I almost just woke the baby right now. Awesome post, that last shot is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts. I love hearing what YOU have to say:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails