Translate

Click here to SHOP!

Thursday, June 4, 2009

At the Farm


Today was treat. I went to visit a local farmer named Donna who runs "At the Farm" not far from where I live. She grows an abundance of veggies and sells flowers, gifts and seeds for your own garden. I am on her mailing list which gives great gardening hints and yummy recipes. If you want to sign up for her newsletter just email her at imthefarmer@earthlink.net.
While I was there I bought some rhubarb. This is Donna's recipe for Rhubarb bars from her May newsletter.

RHUBARB BARS
3 cups chopped fresh rhubarb from At the Farm
2 teaspoons orange zest
Juice of 1 large orange
1/4 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal (old fashioned, not instant)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a glass 9 x 13-inch pan.
In a large pot, put the rhubarb, orange zest, juice, water and granulated sugar over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the rhubarb is tender and the mixture begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, salt and cinnamon, then work in the butter with your fingers to make a crumbly dough. Mix in nuts. Pat half of this dough into the greased glass pan.

Turn the rhubarb onto the crust, top with the remaining crumbles. Bake about 30 to 35 minutes until nicely browned. Serves 14 to 16.

I grew up with a mean rooster named Tom. We always had to go outside carrying a broom or he would attack us. So I'm a little leery of roosters, even though I think they are beautiful!


Her chicken coop. She also sells organic eggs.

Look at her lovely farmland. She owns 25 acres. It was always her dream to have a farm. She's definitely fulfilled that. It really is fun to listen to someone talk about something they are passionate about. Donna is passionate about FARMING!!

Little Chick had a playmate over and they had a ball picking up flowers off the ground and looking at the chickens. Love the barn!




I also got these new additions today at an antique store. I have been wanting a cute chair to go at my kitchen island and this one seems to fit right in. The white vintage cart is just adorable. I'm going to use it to transfer food out onto my deck for dinners outside. So it's functional and necessary right?:)


What are you passionate about??


Have a blessed day!



Pin It!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails